• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

jordanl

Need info - Nipigon River Salmon fishing!

Zackcorbin1401

How’s everyone doing on the river?

Snag???

&

Snag???

&

PkdR

Been out twice on the river now. Spent roughly 4-5hrs both times and 1 hookup for my cousin but it got off(didn’t actually see it to confirm it was a salmon). I did see one get caught both times but that was it. Talked to others at the launch and not much luck with them either. Seems a bit slower, hopefully things will pick up in the next week or so!!

Duhaus

Ohhhh, there is nothing like a dozen boats doing the Dam Dance figure 8. Locals thinking they have property rights on the river. Cut lines. Mini domestics happening within boats between hubby n wife.  
a glorious day….

• Haha 3

Bobber Down

lol @ Mini domestics. Had a few of those myself. I blame Madonna!

• Haha 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

AB

Nipigon has a nice launch and I am pretty sure its free. Red Rock Marina is close by, but I think they might charge to launch or park.

Either way its more room on the water, fewer clowns in boats and if the salmon aren't in the river then they must still be in the lake waiting for conditions to suit them.

I'd concentrate on the area with the last deep water before the river really starts to narrow down.....but that's just me!

Good Luck!

AB

Snag???

&

medy

Does anyone know if the Alexander Dam outflow is supposed to decrease this week?

walleye seeker
7 hours ago, medy said:

Does anyone know if the Alexander Dam outflow is supposed to decrease this week?

Yup looks like they are planning to drop from 300 to 220 CMS (see attached)..I am actually surprised they were able hold at 300 for so long considering how dry this summer has been.

Similar to last few late summers, the system appears to be very low. Prior to entering what the water management plans calls the fall spawning period; I believe the rationale is to drop now to ensure there is enough water available through egg incubation to hatch next spring/early winter. It's a delicate balancing act between maintaining enough "wetted" spawning habitat on the big lake and river. The lake gets priority, 60-40.  Need to also remember the plan was written with emphasis of the protection of natural/native species, namely Brook trout for this system.

Alexand_210827_191210 (1).pdf

• Like 1

PkdR

Was on the river today for about 5 hours. Didn’t have a sniff. Did see a couple Salmon get caught though. Seems a little slow still or just slow for me!! I assume the river will be busy this weekend with the annual festival happening, good luck everyone! Tight lines! 

LenaAronyk

Went out in our canoe today from the Nipigon river marina and got a a small pink! Saw a school of about 20 swimming up the shallows towards the bridge too!

MetalFishing
On 8/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, Snag??? said:

Still think it’ll be a while yet, decided to go other way. On the Winnipeg river in Kenora the debate was lotw or river. Decided on river, just taking a break it was wise choice lots walleye few perch. Wife’s bass 👍 nipigon in a week.

2EEDAAB1-9CC7-491C-A59B-AFDB9B62630F.jpeg

That’s a great river!

4E234531-D1E6-41D8-A403-FB39E4672187.jpeg

PkdR

Good day on the river, 2 kings, one pike and one pink. Saw about 6 get caught aswell. Little bit of rain and colder nights has seem to help!!