• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Believe it or not. 4 spots left for '09 S.S.S.!

Bear

Ok I have to admit, I will be fishing out of a LUND in at least 3 tournaments this year, all with Pro Staffers, I will likely use my old faithful Crestliner for a few others....

I did fish three this year out of a Lund, they are really nice boats. I fished KBI in a Crestliner (not mine) and had trouble with the plug staying in, on the rear livewell, I am not sure if it is a common thing or just this one boat, but what a surprize when you open the livewell and there is no water, talkabout panic.

But I love the banter, let the games begin.....see you guys and gals on the water.....regardless, I love this tournament and Shebandowan is a great fishery.

Go Team 64...at least it will keep everyone guessing until the bitter end.....or maybe not.

Bear

Trevor Zimak
I think I've clarified it before Bear...http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/...?showtopic=3406As I hypothesized in that thread, field is full in October!  You don't need an 'incentive' for early entries (9 months ahead of time) when the field fills immediately once entries are accepted.  And the argument the $$ needs to be in the tournament executives hands 9 months ahead of time is equally hogwash.  Is anybody going to spend the next 6 months developing a different strategy for tournament day because they're leaving 10th rather than 5th??  I doubt it!  Thus back to my original point of no rationale for needing next summer's schedule straightened out now in order to know whether one can participate in a ONE-DAY fishing tournament.  This isn't a shuttle mission to the moon being planned.That said, the tournament directors/executive can do whatever they want; it's their call, but I personally feel this timetable is not necessary.  Anyway, I won't be participating because I don't have the ability (or the desire) to plan one-day fishing trips (tournament or otherwise) 9 months ahead of time.  That's just my opinion! (and no I don't care to hear of anecdotal snippets of one tournament vs. another, etc.)NWO Fishing Bum

Im my opinion this is the most irrational and incoherent comment I have heard on this board yet.  And with the being said:

Having an early draw has virtually nothing to do with developing a new strategy of fishing if you are pulled last or first.  However, people need to book holidays, plan for accomodations, budget for expense etc.  Have you ever tried to book accomodations at a decent venue when the tournament is one month away?

And yes, getting anglers to send their money in 9 months is DEFINATELY NECESSARY!!!  NWOFB, have you ever ran a tournament?  What if something goes wrong with a teams cheque?  What if there is money missing from the tournament bank account and you cant pay the promised prize structure?  What if a sponsor bails out on you? I dont think I need to continue.  You have to allow yourself time to correct problems that may arise.  Things that cant be done if you wait until 1 or even 2 months for anglers to send their money in.  Besides having an event full a year ahead of time looks good for the tournament and for the people who run it.  It shows that there have done a good job in the past when so many people are that eager to get their money in to secure a spot.

GO TEAM 45 GO !!!!!

Guest Tracker Pro V

I am with Trevor on this. I may not have organized a fising tournament but do understand what is involved in organizing large events . I only wish that I had gotten in on time for this event. It sure filled up quick and that should be a huge compliment to the individuals that plan, organize and execute this event.

arvey

there's no reason for anybody to get fired up,the rules are the rules and that's it.the organizers have an idea how much cash they have to play with and how much more they may need to raise. other than that who cares what get said.

arvey

Guest Melly

I agree it is much better to get the ball rolling early, this is a well organized tournament and it always has been.

TEAM 53 GO!!!!!!

Some Old Guy

We are accepting waiting list entries. Please just send a form without a cheque or money order.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

NWO Fishing Bum

NWOFB, have you ever ran a tournament? Nope! I have however been in a few and have never had to confirm my entry nine months ahead of time. I guess those various organizers can work on a tighter timeline than what we see here.

What if something goes wrong with a teams cheque? Send them an email saying 'your cheque bounced'!

What if there is money missing from the tournament bank account and you cant pay the promised prize structure? Base the prize structure on % rather than fixed $ amounts. (As is done, for example, in almost every poker tournament in the world.)

What if a sponsor bails out on you? A sponsor can bail at anytime regardless of how far in advance the tournament is organized. Do you think when Lund/Mercury pulled out of the PWT last spring there was absolutely nothing planned with regard to the future which was partially contingent on their continued support? It happens, and they now have to scramble/adapt!

The problem Zimmer (as you've shown multiple times in the past on here) is you take things way too personally, in this case obviously thinking my argument is somehow a condemnation of the tournament organizers. It is not! As I previously suggested, they can do whatever they want, but I believe, given the track record of the event and entries, that doing the same process in April as what just happened in October, would work just fine, AND would allow those prospective anglers, whom by the nature of their employment or commitments otherwise, CAN'T determine their availability for a one-day recreational event (which is what the SSS is) until that time, a chance to actually get in. Any other planning/organizing could continue...everybody knows the field will fill at this point. When the tournament first started, sure, different story, but not now.

It's an OPINION, Zimmer. Don't lose any sleep buddy!

NWO Fishing Bum

Some Old Guy

I really didn't want to ruin this for anyone so my appologies go out to the people.

People buy the entries for Christmas presents! That's why we offer it early. Merry Christmas all you tourney anglers!

Roger

GC 54

As for those who have participated in this great event, and even for a team that has won this event before, the importance of signing up quickly is now well recognized by forrmer SSS winning team captained by Kevin Wilson. But as Kevin and I discussed last evening, where there is a will there is a way, and Kevin will be in the 2009 SSS, I can assure you this. A great competitor.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Tracker Pro V

It may only be my perception but there is no problem if this event is full already, lots of anglers want to be in this tournament. There is definitely a huge demand for this event .Could it or even it would be considered to have more anglers in this event (a larger field)

Some Old Guy

Parking is the limiting factor. We only have enough room for 65 trucks and trailers. We must leave room for users at the launch. We cannot block access to the lake.

Roger

Resource Pimp
Parking is the limiting factor. We only have enough room for 65 trucks and trailers. We must leave room for users at the launch. We cannot block access to the lake.

Roger

Roger, the original launch was directly below the former MNR base on the south side of hwy 586. Since they have demo'd the base and made it green space, I have frequently seen single or double trucks with trailer that have launched and parked there (for what ever reason). Its crown land and I feel confident the MNR would not object to a one day use if asked. It could easily hold 5, if not 10 trucks and trailers. Actually, theres no reason the "green space" where the base was north of the road couldn't be used, its crown land. Its only a 200 yard walk from either of those to the tournament launch.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Trevor Zimak

I guess im fighting a losing battle... Some people will never understand.

Roger, the original launch was directly below the former MNR base on the south side of hwy 586. Since they have demo'd the base and made it green space, I have frequently seen single or double trucks with trailer that have launched and parked there (for what ever reason). Its crown land and I feel confident the MNR would not object to a one day use if asked. It could easily hold 5, if not 10 trucks and trailers. Actually, theres no reason the "green space" where the base was north of the road couldn't be used, its crown land. Its only a 200 yard walk from either of those to the tournament launch.

When did that launch become crown land? I always thought it was blocked off. There was a very nice launch there last time a checked... drops into about 5 feet there.

The SSS usually gets about 15 boats coming by water. I think it would be fair to say that the SSS 2009 could handle 75 teams. 75 just seems like such a nice number too.

Resource Pimp
When did that launch become crown land? I always thought it was blocked off. There was a very nice launch there last time a checked... drops into about 5 feet there.

The SSS usually gets about 15 boats coming by water. I think it would be fair to say that the SSS 2009 could handle 75 teams. 75 just seems like such a nice number too.

That property and launch have always been crown land (in respect that the government owns it). When the new launch was built that launch was blocked off to public use because the MNR used that dock as an aircraft loading dock in their fire fighting operations. Now, I'm not saying that the launch has been opened to public use, but I have seen vehicles with trailers parked there on occasion all last summer. I do know that the upper section north of 586 "was to be turned into green space" for public use.

Getting back to "crown land". I know that at one point since the base closed, the province attemped to dispose of that property by public sale through the ORC (ontario reality commission). But ran into a snag because it was deeded to DLF (department of lands and forests) which has been defunct for a long time. Something in the fact it was deeded to DLF halted the province from selling that property. The property belongs to the government and public in some way shape or form. We are all accustomed to the definition of "crown land" as meaning public use, when in fact it means owned by the crown (government).

To make a boreing story short......its there, people are useing it to launch. Why not ask for one day use of the property (not to launch, but to park) and see what happens. At least then a precident will be set! lol

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Trevor Zimak

Good know I will have to keep that in mind. Sometimes the public launch gets busy on the weekends. Lets just say I have waited almost 30 minutes before watching people trying get there pontoon boats on right.